Landlord Information

Letting your property can be extremely profitable, but it is also important to safeguard yourself by employing a reputable Letting Agent who will be able to look after it for you as well as protecting your legal rights.

Harwoods are ARLA licensed Letting Agents Based in Wellingborough and covering the surrounding area of Kettering, Rushden, Higham Ferrers Northampton and the majority of East Northamptonshire. Harwoods Letting Agents staff are trained to provide you with the highest quality of service. We have the knowledge and the ability to guide you through the complex and sometimes, daunting process of letting your property. By using an ARLA licensed letting agent such as Harwoods you can be confident that your property and your interests are being professionally and personally managed.

As a local independent letting agent we can provide property management services throughout the local area including Wellingborough, Rushden, Higham Ferrers, Northampton and the surrounding villages.

Finding the Right Tenant? Expand/Collapse

The type of tenant we secure for you will depend on your property and on your requirements. The majority of Harwoods Letting Agents' tenants are working professionals, company relocations, family relocations and overseas relocations. You can be assured that all prospective tenants will be fully referenced and the relevant information will be forwarded for your approval.

Upon receipt of your instructions,Harwoods Letting Agents will prepare particulars of the property for immediate circulation to suitable applicants on our database. Your property will also be advertised in the local property newspapers and on the Internet via both this website and via Rightmove.

Harwoods, ARLA licensed Letting Agents, will accompany all viewings on vacant properties, therefore minimising any disruption to your day-to-day activities.

The Tenancy Agreement Expand/Collapse

Upon finding a suitable tenant, Harwoods, ARLA licensed Letting Agents, will prepare an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement. In the event of a company let, a slightly different agreement will be used. You will be provided with draft copies of all the documents intended for the Let. These will be supplied to you in advance in order for you to familiarise yourself with their content.

Inventories/Schedule of Condition Expand/Collapse

Harwoods, ARLA licensed letting agents, will carry out an Inventory/Schedule of Condition on behalf of the landlord as part of our service. This is necessary when renting out a property to protect both possessions remaining in the property and the condition of the property in general.

It is impossible to make deductions from a tenant's deposit without a schedule of condition prior to the commencement of the tenancy.

Utility Companies Expand/Collapse

On the day the tenant occupies the property, Harwoods, ARLA licensed letting agents, will take the meter readings for gas, electric and water (if applicable) and will inform the utility companies of these readings and also give the details of the in-going tenants together with your forwarding address for any final bills. The local authority will also be notified of change of tenant for council tax purposes. The same procedure is repeated at the end of the tenancy.

Regulations Expand/Collapse

All Landlords are obliged to ensure that all gas and electrical appliances are regularly serviced in accordance with regulations and a certificate of safety from a certified contractor will be required prior tothe tenancy commencing.

You should arrange to have adequate smoke alarms fitted in any rented property.

All soft furnishings remaining in a rented property must comply with the DTI Fire Regulations. Again Harwoods, ARLA licensed letting agents, can provide further information regarding these regulations, on request.

It should be noted that failing to comply with these regulations might result in a fine of up to £5000 or six months imprisonment.

Payment of Rent Expand/Collapse

If Harwoods, ARLA licensed letting agents, are instructed to collect rent on behalf of the Landlord, we can make payment via the Bank Automation Clearing System (BACS). This system allows us to transfer rental payments directly into your account. This ensures that you will receive your rent as quickly as possible after it has been received.

We do remind our landlords that the transfer of monies may vary depending on the day the rent arrives into our account from the tenant. Bank Holidays and weekends obviously slow down the process and can cause a delay. You should not rely on the rent alone to cover any mortgage payments.

Deposits Expand/Collapse

A deposit is always taken from a tenant prior to the occupation of the property. It is always at least the equivalent of one months rent.

The deposit is held against dilapidations in respect of the property, and should not be accepted as the final months rent, nor should it be used to pay any charges due from a Landlord.

As a bonded and ARLA licensed letting agent, the tenancy that we arrange on your behalf will be included in the Tenancy Deposit Scheme for Regulated Agents (TDSRA). Therefore, in the event of an unresolved dispute between the landlord and tenant over the allocation of the deposit then the matter can be referred to an Independent Case Examiner for expert, impartial, third party adjudication.

Repossession of the Property Expand/Collapse

A Landlord may require possession at the end of the 6 month fixed term and must then serve the relevant notice on his/her tenant. Harwoods Letting Agents can arrange for the serving of this notice upon request.

In the unlikely event of a tenant refusing to vacate on the expiry of the Agreement, then a court order must be obtained before you can take possession of the property. Harwoods Letting Agents can offer you further advice on request or put you directly in touch with solicitors.

Income Tax Liability Expand/Collapse

Under the terms of the Taxation of Income from Land (Non-Resident) Regulations 1995 (Finance Act 1995), While a Landlord may be considered non-resident for Tax purposes, he still has to pay United Kingdom income tax on rents arising in this country. Unless the Landlord can provide Harwoods Letting Agents with an 'Exemption' certificate from the Inland Revenue, we will be obliged by law to deduct tax at the base rate from rents received and account to the Inland Revenue.

Your Mortgage Expand/Collapse

If your property is mortgaged, you are required to inform the lender of your intention to let the premises. There will usually be no objection, provided there are no arrears, but there may be an administration charge payable, which may vary from lender to lender.

Landlords Responsibility Expand/Collapse

Prior to the property being let, it should be in good decorative order, clean & tidy both internally and externally. Gardens should be in a good condition in order for the tenants to maintain. Should the tenants be required to maintain a garden, the relevant tools and machinery should be provided. All appliances including the heating system should be in good working order.

Harwoods Letting Agents recommend that a service agreement be taken out with British Gas or a similar company where gas installations are involved.Unless other arrangements are written into the Agreement, it is the Landlords responsibility to maintain the property in good order throughout the letting term.

Client Money Protection & Independent Redress Expand/Collapse

Harwoods is an RICS registered firm member and client money protection is provided by RICS.

Wendy Hayes

Wendy Hayes

Lettings Manager – Residential Lettings

01933 221616

Wendy Hayes

Jan Burnham

Lettings Administrator – Residential Letting

01933 221616